Our Industry Committee exists to promote the value of research in applied mathematics and to ensure the application of high quality research results in solving real world problems in industry. Interested in what this committee discusses? Check out the top takeaways from the July meeting in Boston, Massachusetts:
- The SIAM career fair at this Annual Meeting, Careers in Business, Industry and Government, was considered by meeting participants to be successful. Discussed feedback and improvements for the future.
- The panel session on Careers in Business, Industry and Government was well attended as was the Student and Industry Reception.
- Planning for a Career Fair at CSE17 to be held on February 27, 2017, in Atlanta.
- Participants highlighted the participating institutions on SIAM’s career page for students to learn about internship opportunities in industry, research institutions and government labs.
- The main discussion during the meeting was about the percentage of industry members declining and what we can do to change that
- Participants proposed several ways to increase industry membership:
- Help current members to make the case to management for SIAM institutational memberships.
- Work to retain student graduates who are members and who take jobs in industry.
- Work on a regional scale to get members from industry involved with activities of our sections and chapters.
Learn more about the Industry Committee and get involved today.