The International Mathematical Union is leading the project of urging the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to proclaim March 14 (Pi Day) as the International Day of Mathematics (IDM). This proclamation was accepted by UNESCO’s Executive Board at its 205th session in October 2018. It was part of the agenda for the 40th General Conference of UNESCO, which occurred in November 2019. If adopted, the official launch will take place in 2020.
IDM will be a worldwide celebration. Every year on March 14, all countries will be invited to participate through activities for both students and the general public in schools, museums, libraries, and other spaces. Because March 14, 2020 is a Saturday, the IDM launch at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, France will take place on Friday, March 13. A simultaneous African launch will be held at the Next Einstein Forum in Nairobi, Kenya.
Each year will feature a new theme to flavor the celebration, spark creativity, and bring light to connections between mathematics and a variety of fields, concepts, and ideas. The 2020 theme is “Mathematics is Everywhere.”
- Mathematics is everywhere in science and technology
- Mathematics is everywhere in the organization of civilization
- Mathematics is essential to meet the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Mathematics is everywhere in whatever you do.
How will you celebrate? Will you celebrate in your classroom? Do you wish to organize a small exhibition and/or interactive activities with your local community? Will your national mathematical society or mathematics teachers association coordinate national activities? Will you celebrate with a neighboring country?
Visit the IDM website to do the following:
- Access open-source material related to this year’s theme, including projects, ideas, and software for use in classrooms, at large events, or in small activities for children and the general public
- Find instructions on how to organize an event
- Post your activities on an interactive map
- Explore activities around the world.
Start thinking about how you will partake! We look forward to hearing about your festivities in the coming months.