The University of Bath SIAM-IMA Chapter is hosting the seventh annual SIAM-UKIE National Student Chapter Conference. The event will take place from June 18-19, and is expected to be one of the biggest student conferences in mathematical sciences this year in the UK, with over 100 students attending each day.
The aim of the conference is to bring together students working in applied or industrial mathematics, and areas which use them, from across the UK and Ireland. Students will have the opportunity to showcase their research through a contributed talk or poster, and to discuss more informally over coffee, lunch and in the social activities before, during and after the conference.
We welcome talks and posters from any area of applied mathematics, statistics, correlated areas (e.g. physics, engineering, economics, pharmacy, social sciences, etc) or any area of mathematics which has potential applications to industry. There will be prizes for "best poster" and talks. Thanks to our generous sponsors, both travel support and accommodation will be provided for UK and Ireland students with accepted presentations.
We will host four fantastic plenary speakers over the conference's two days:
- Marta Blangiardo, Imperial College London, UK: "Modelling spatio-temporal data: methods, examples and challenges"
- Simon Chandler-Wilde, University of Reading, UK: "Coercivity of second kind boundary integral equations on Lipschitz domains"
- Ian Griffiths, University of Oxford, UK: "iPhones and Dysons: using fluid dynamics to tailor technology"
- Nicole Spillane, CMAP, École Polytechnique, France: "Domain Decomposition Methods with Adaptive Multipreconditioning"
Registration for the conference is free of charge, and lunch and refreshments will be provided on both days.
- The deadline for contributed talk abstracts is Friday, April 27, 2018.
- The deadline for poster submissions is Friday, April 27, 2018.
- The deadline for registration is Friday, May 18, 2018.
The University of Bath SIAM-IMA Student Chapter follows both the SIAM Statement on Inclusiveness and the IMA Diversity Statements, and endeavors to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere at the conference, with a diverse range of participants. Students from groups which are underrepresented in STEM subjects are particularly encouraged to submit an abstract for a talk or poster.
For further information, registration, and abstract submission, please see the conference website, or contact the committee at email@example.com.
We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Bath in June.
||Francisco de Melo Viríssimo graduated from the University of São Paulo with a BSc in mathematics and a MSc in applied mathematics. He is currently a Ph.D. student at the University of Bath, working with Paul Milewski in the mathematics and numerics of waves in fluids. Francisco has been the president of the University of Bath Chapter of SIAM and IMA since 2016.